Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Marriage is based on the theory that when man finds a beer exactly to his taste he should at once quit his job and go work in the brewery."-Nathan

No, Miss Chris is not running off and getting married...it was just a really fun quote about beer! I could have quoted Homer Simpson, but that would have been way too easy. Miss Chris has beer on the brain as it is Oktoberfest season and I'll be away next weekend doing just what the doctor ordered--getting more grain into my diet (I know, that's not what he meant!) -- I can't wait! I have every intention of sitting in front of a large fireplace, nursing a dark and brooding brew, and meeting other like minded beer folk (and watching men in leiderhosen). It's my last big hurrah before I give up beer for the next few months and I plan on going out with a bang!

No sense crying in your beer!
As I was reshelving books at the library, I noticed a book I just had to borrow--Brewing Battles, a History of American Beer--by Amy Mittleman. I started perusing it, and it looks really good...it's only about 200 pages, so it's a pretty quick read.

I am one gal who loves her seasonal brews--the saisons, pumpkins, Oktoberfests--and I could not be happier that they are all widely available right now. Some to look for are Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Southampton Publick House's Saison and Pumpkin Ale (I heard a rumor that they were bought by the conglomerate that also bought Budweiser...can someone confirm that for me? Thanks!), Saranac's Pumpkin Ale, Harpoon's Glacier Harvest '08 Wet Hop Beer (a pale ale), Spaten's Oktoberfest, Ommegang Rouge Flemish Red, and Samuel Smith's Organic Cider. YOU WILL NOT FIND THESE AT THE SUPERMARKET! Get yourself to the local beverage center and make a point of checking these out!

Have you ever thought about homebrewing? Of course I have (as I want to try EVERYTHING!) but it's just not in the cards for me at this time. However, if you have the room and the desire to give it a whirl, there are some great websites out there that let you shop for supplies from the comfort of your La-Z-Boy. Take a look below:
http://www.homebrewery.com/
http://www.homebrewmart.com/
http://www.brewery.org/

A pint here, a pint there...
Did you know that only 2% of Long Islanders donate blood as compared to 7% nationwide? Briarcliffe College in Patchogue is running a blood drive on October 7 from 10-6, and it's open to the public! Do your good deed for the day and help alleviate a critical blood shortage!

Friends of the Dead...
No, this is NOT a Grateful Dead thing...the Cemetery Restoration Committee is looking for donations for a yard sale to help raise funds to keep their work going! Please donate!

Do you hear what I hear?
Patchogue Theatre's Chamber Music Series features Svet Stoyanov and Moni Simoenov this Sunday, September 21st at 3PM, tickets are $15 per person.

Annette Perry and Vytas Baksys will be playing a selection of Bach, Mendelssohn, and Beethoven at Bayport-Blue Point Public Library on September 28. FREE.

It's back...Live in the Lobby! With shows two weeks in a row! Come on down and see some of Long Island's great original musicians in an intimate and cozy venue, and say hi to me...I'll be the gal who breaks your horns as you try to sneak outside with a beer! $10 admission.

Kissin' cousins to Live in the Lobby is the Bellport Songwriter Series, coming up on September 28. Another cozy venue with a breathtaking view of the Great South Bay and great original music...$5 gets you in the door!

The Sunday Street Concert Series at University Cafe starts in two weeks...get your tickets NOW for Eilen Jewel and Phil Minissale! Advance tickets are $15, $20 at the door!

Shane Alexander at Stephen Talkhouse on September 27, $10 gets you in.

Sayville at the Common Ground on Sunday the 21st--The Swingtime Big Band! FREE.

Calling All Artists!
The Brookhaven Arts and Humanities Council is looking for you! Do you work on a large scale? Their Big Stuff show was made just for you! There will also be a Portait Show coming up! Register NOW!

Viva la difference!
Unity Day is coming up on September 26th...celebrate our diversity and learn about new people and things!

Cinema geeks, this one's for you!
Before the Rains and Reprise will both be shown this Friday, September 26 at the Staller Center.

Check out Cinema Arts Center's Theatre of the Wild this week! Mr. Lonely and Machine Girl are the featued films!

I'll be back in just a few days listing lots more Cheap Dates to check out! Have something that should be here? Let me know at cheap.date.long.island@gmail.com.

Chat soon!

No comments: