Monday, September 22, 2008

"I could dance with you til the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows until you come home." - Groucho Marx

I love life. There are so many things, little things, that are amusing when we come across them every day. The problem is that too many of us don't take the time to see all those little things around us and live life to its fullest. I try to do just that. For the longest time I held back on the things I wanted to do as I was afraid of upsetting people. I was also afraid of going out and doing them on my own...like I needed a companion - a partner in crime, if you will. I know that I really tick off some people as I dance to the beat of my own drummer (as Mother always says when I am showing my headstrong tendencies and she's aggravated with me), but the fact is that I do get on out there and dance...and if I slip and fall while doing the shimmy, well, I'll just lick my wounds and get back up and out on the dance floor again, because even with the medical dramas and being really tight with a buck lately, I don't think I have ever been happier and more comfortable in my own skin. Life is good, people! Get on out there...onto the dance floor...and whether it's the tango or the Electric Slide...or even a polka...give something new a try!

A little bit country...
Mary Lamont will be playing at the 22nd Annual Bellmont Street Fair on September 27th.

Friday, September 26th Patricia Shih will be playing at Saxton Middle School in Patchogue.

A NEW series, Acoustic Strings and Things, is part open mic and part acoustic showcase. Mill Pond House on September 24, 7:30PM. (No website, 660 Mill Pond Road, St. James.) FREE.

Also on the 24th...The Cup, open mic, $1 cover. 3268 Railroad Avenue, Wantaugh.

Buddy Merriam and Back Roads have two gigs coming up this weekend! Get yer bluegrass on!

The 27th is ROCKING!!!! Phil Minissale and Nina and Her Band at Last Licks Cafe!

Martha Trachtenberg and Tom Griffith at a house concert...$10 per person and bring something for pot-luck. Call 516-579-5365 for reservations. I have seen them...they are AWESOME!!!

Cathy Kreger and What it Iz at Elijah Churchill's Public House on the 27th.

Gettin' back to nature...
LI Live Steamers is having their Run Day on the 28th at Southhaven Park. Take a train ride through the woods!

Fall Nature Walk at Cathedral Pines this weekend! Click here to reserve your spot!

Wildwood State Park is hosting a Fall Festival this weekend!

Connetquot State Park is providing house tours for only $3 per person!

Culture vultures, there's something for you too!
Poets in Port, a poetry series in Northport, will be hosting an event this Friday!

Also in Northport, the Northport Tasting Room and Wine Cellar will be hosting a reception for the works of Michael Krasowitz.

All About Color at Phoenix Fine Art Gallery...

All for now, you kooky cats! Get on out there and check some of these out! I'll be back next week sometime with lots more for you to do! Have an event that should be listed here? Email me at cheap.date.long.island@gmail.com.

No comments: