Monday, September 8, 2008

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation like a dog does." -- Morley

Ever have one of those days where it feels like everything you say comes out sounding like the teacher on the animated Charlie Brown cartoons? "Wa wa wa wa?" Like it doesn't make any sense, or maybe that people are just tuning you out? Not sure if it's the hour or what, but I've been trying to explain something to a couple of students about how to use research databases...I give them the URL, I walk them through what to do, I walk away, come back, and they're on Google. AGAIN! The same search engine I just told them NOT to use! And when I ask why they aren't on the databases I just showed them, I get this blank stare. Now, I don't have dogs, I have cats. Enough to put me at the brink of holding the title of the Crazy Cat Lady of Patchogue. But at least when I speak to them, they look at me like they understand what I'm saying and that it's the most brilliant thing they have ever heard (though I'm sure what they are REALLY thinking is, "Mommy, we're hungry...feed us...PLEASE...." and, "Do you know that the neighbors can all see you when you dance around with us in your underwear? They do make shades for a reason, you know."). Furbabies can make even the worst day seem, well, not so bad!

Dog day afternoon!
The Town of Islip will be providing FREE rabies vaccinations for dogs, cats, and ferrets on Saturday from 9-3. A $10 donation is requested, but not required.

LI Dog Owners Group has a great website with news, info, and shopping for your dog.

Doga--yoga with your dog at Love on a Leash!

Funniest movie about dogs (and their owners) ever--Best in Show!

Cat got your tongue?
I can't believe I found this! A dating site for cat lovers! Purrsonals.com. Who knew?

And of course, www.Petfinder.com merits a mention here as well!

And now for something completely different...
Cinema Arts has two really great shows coming up this week! The ORIGINAL Scarface on Tuesday and Tokyo Gore Police on Wednesday! $10 per person.

Rock Lobster!
Bliss in Setauket now features lobster specials starting at $9.95 on Wednesdays!

Rock and Roll!
This is another plug for the WPKN benefit, Painters, Sunday the 14th from 1-7PM, $10 per person. Lots of great performers in a really cool place...worth the look-see!

Culture vultures, this one's for you!
OAS43 will be featuring over 200 artists, plus food and live music on September 20 and 21. FREE.

Mmmmmm....beer....
I had mentioned Oktoberfests in an earlier post and will keep putting them up here as they get close. In the meantime, don your leiderhosen and kick back with an Oktoberfest brew. Maltier than the summer brews, most are out NOW! Blue Point Brewery's Oktoberfest will be available next week. Grab a growler to go! (Thank you, Paul Brown!)

I'm not wining...
...about the price of "Two Buck Chuck", the organic wine available at Trader Joe's. Scroll to the bottom of the page for info on their wine selection at bottom of the barrel prices!

All for now! Add yourself to the new RSS feed list, or the new blog followers option! Have an event, gig, or suggestion? Email me at cheap.date.long.island@gmail.com! Chat soon!

No comments: