Sunday, September 7, 2008

When I am attacked by gloomy thoughts, nothing helps me so much as running to my books. They quickly absorb me and banish the clouds from my mind.

The quote above is from Montaigne. (Yes, Blogger is still giving me problems!) Any of you who know me are aware there are few things that bring me more joy than books. As someone once said...they're not fattening, and they are intensely personal (and the immorality of a text is subjective...)! Really, what gift can you give someone that shows you were thinking of them more than a book? And considering we are moving into Autumn, with the start of school and cooler weather around the corner...it's time to get your read on! Maybe some Poe, Lovecraft, or Hawthorne (my fave--bet you didn't know Hawthorne wrote some really eerie stories...check out Feathertop if you have the chance!) to start getting ready for the upcoming spooky season!

Bookworms, rejoice!
If you are like me, you own a lot of books and are starting to run out of room for them all. A trip to Borders can (and does) often result in two shopping bags full of new friends and a bill of over $100 (I'm a book junkie, what can I say?!). I was considering getting the Kindle or the Sony Reader, but if I'm going to drop $400 on something, it's going to be something really special (such as the train trip I am currently researching that I will let you all know about when I get more info...kind of the Cheap Date version of the Orient Express!). Hence, I am going to list a few sites for you all where you can download stories and books FOR FREE! Granted, some of the lists are limited and you will not be finding the new best sellers here, but for something you can download and peruse at your leisure, this is just nifty in my book (pun DEFINITELY intended!) The Literature Network lists many short stories and poems for your reading pleasure, and has chat rooms where you can discuss various topics with other readers. ReadPrint is much the same. DailyLit will email you sections of a book of your choosing daily, and offers many new selections. Project Gutenberg, the granddaddy of them all, is updated daily with books that are out of copyright! Over 10,000 to choose from!

Just a quick mention...Book Bay, located in the old garage behind the Community House in Bridgehampton, sells used books and the proceeds are donated to local non-profits. Open 10:30-3:30 Monday-Saturday.

It's not easy being cheesy!
I was out east with the handsome, YOUNGER new man today (just call me COUGAR!!!), hitting the vineyards and listening to some music. We stopped in Mattituck and found this great place on Love Lane--The Village Cheese Shop. Many, MANY cheeses, with reasonable prices, and lots of other goodies to check out too! There's also a branch in Southampton.
We were getting our wine on as well...just a little as we had to drive. But we picked up some event guides (he DEFINITELY appreciates this whole Cheap Date gig! Too bad we always end up going over...OK, I promise...from now on we stick to the rules! Gotta practice what I preach!) and there's some great things coming up at the vineyards. Martha Clara has music and cooking demos on weekends, and Open Mic Nights Tuesday nights at 6PM. ALL FREE...you just have to pay for your wine! (Don't forget they have Oktoberfest coming up this weekend as well!) Lieb Cellars gives complementary cheese and crackers when you go wine tasting during the week.
(The top pic is from Laurel Lake Vineyard, and the other two...well I forgot what vineyard that was...sorry!)






Art farts, there's something for you, too!
This isn't a gallery show or an exhibit I'm listing this time! Have you ever wanted to try your hand at drawing or painting? The Southampton Artists Association will be hosting a Figure Drawing workshop on Tuesday the 9th, at 10AM and again at 7PM. $7 fee. Call 631-725-5851 for more info. On Wednesday the 10th, it's an opportunity for you to try Portait and Figure Painting at the Montauk Railroad Depot Gallery Studio, $15 fee, call 631-668-6955 for info.

A little night music...
This week looks like it's gonna be ROCKIN'! Unfortunately, Miss Chris is putting in a lot of hours this week, but hopes to get to some of these gigs!
The Cedar Beach Blues Fest will be held at Bald Hill this year on September 20 and 21...
Don't forget, Dogstock this week at Bobbique...
Mary Lamont at bj spoke gallery on Friday the 12th.
The Port Jeff Music Festival will be this Friday through Sunday! DO NOT MISS THIS! See the frequently mentioned on this blog Jay Scott, Miles to Dayton, John Flor, the Tobacco Roadies, and the Kerry Ferry...I MUST CHECK THAT OUT!!! I MISSED IT LAST YEAR! Heard it was great!
Jeff Warner--house concert in Forest Hills September 19--not sure of the price, but contact FMSNY1@gmail.com for info and reservations!
Chantey sing at South Street Seaport Saturday, September 13 at 8PM.

I'm seeing stars...
And you can, too! The Custer Observatory, the oldest one of its kind on Long Island, is open to the public on Saturday nights!

Go fly a kite!
September 20--Kite Festival at the Long Island Maritime Museum. $2 per person, build-a-kite kit $5.

Do you have a blog of your own? Add your link to my page... NEW!!! Subscribe for RSS feeds!

I feel like I'm forgetting to post something...Just don't forget to check back often as I am always adding updates! Have an event or gig you'd like posted? Do you know of something that should be here? Let me know by emailing me at cheap.date.long.island@gmail.com!

No comments: