Monday, August 18, 2008

Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish. - Wright

I've been thinking a lot about fish lately. Did you know fish feel pain and suffer stress just like mammals and birds? How about the fact that there are more species of fish than all the species of amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals combined? Fish are simple critters. Just give them some water and food, maybe a fish of the opposite gender, and they are as thrilled as their little fish brains can get. Kind of sounds like me!

There's another reason I've been thinking about fish. This weekend is the Seafood Festival at the Long Island Maritime Museum! $5 to get in, live music by acts such as Jack's Waterfall and Karma Sutra, a pirate show, and more seafood than you could shake a fishing pole at! Do yourself a favor and preprint your ticket, and utilize the shuttle buses.

Not big on fish but still want to be near the bay? The Battle on the Bay takes place this weekend at Shorefront Park. Muscle boat enthusiasts and race fans, this is the event for you! Adrianna, thanks for the pics! You rock! See below!


Maybe you are done watching the Miss Geico kicking local power boat butt and decide that you could go for some good ol' fashioned BBQ...head on down to Bobbique to get your pulled pork on (I really could have gotten naughty there, but I will restrain myself!) and enjoy the blues stylings of the Kerry Kearny Band.

Have a furbaby of the canine variety? Maybe you or/he she is in need of a new love. DogUp has a dating website for canine furbabies and their owners. After all, isn't your best friend worth considering?

It's here, it's here! The Cinema Arts Centre's Pay to Get Out Horror Marathon! Miss Chris loves getting her scare on!

The world's oldest boy band, The Defibrillators, is playing at Bayard Cutting Arborteum this weekend! $6 to park!

What is better than this? Wine and dancing under the stars! Romance on the cheap! Vineyard 48, $10 per person! Reservations suggested!

Chatting about romance and wine, Palmer Vineyards has TWO great Cheap Dates this weekend! Cooking demonstrations and Writers on the Vine!

Phoenix Fine Arts Gallery is hosting its opening reception this weekend for American Dreams. While in Bellport, make a point of stopping in at Sugar Loaf Cafe!

Now, I NEVER thought I would say this, but this weekend at the Polish Festival, I ran across a polka band made up of guys around my age, and all just too adorable for words! TKO, you guys were great! So much fun! Please check below for my horribly shot video clip, and while you are at it, scroll below to see pics from the Polish Festival, and a special thank you to everyone at the Polish Hall! Everyone was so nice, and you guys under the beer tent were HILARIOUS! A special hello to my new gentlemen friends who kept me company while I photographed the band, and especially to Marty AKA Snake (you must look at this guy's pic and tell me how much he channels Hunter S. Thompson!). Gentleman, if you want more pics, email me at cheap.date.long.island@gmail.com so I know where to send them!


James, my former professor and now colleaugue and friend, asked me to write the story of Lucky, our whale watching mascot. I promise, in a few days it will be here! I just want to make sure I can spend the time and do right by the little guy!

All for this edition. Make a point of stopping back to visit every few days as I am always adding new content as I get it. Chat soon!




No comments: