Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore. -- Dale Carnegie

I'm back...I survived my encounter with Moby Dick and company and had one of the best times of my life! I made some new friends, did a lot of thinking, and realized how small we all are in comparison to so many other things. I also realized that many things that people think about, say they are going to do, and never get around to can be the really special things, the adventures we've always wanted, but often we are just too afraid or lazy to jump in head first and pray that the waters don't close in over our heads. I came home from this trip smelly, exhausted, sunburned, and covered in whale snot (did you realize that when whales exhale, it's a combination on CO2, water vapor, and mucus? I didn't...but it makes for a really pretty rainbow when the light hits it the right way!), but I have a new perspective on taking chances and doing the things your friends may try to talk you out of or the things that may scare you half to death -TRY IT ANYWAY! Even if you have to go it alone, even if it may be somewhat out of your budget, or you have a fear that whatever you are attempting is going to be an abysmal failure, it is better to look back on something and have gained an experience, learned something, and possibly have some incredible memories (and photos and video, in my case) than to regret the opportunity that you have let pass you by. Think about it...I could have spent my 39th birthday doing dinner and a movie with my friends. Instead, I was out on the ocean watching a humpback whale frolic off the back of the boat - putting its belly up, waving its flippers, and just putting on a whole show all within less than twenty feet from where I stood. Coming home, I grabbed my sleeping bag and watched the Persieds while laying on the top deck of the ship with my new friends and acquaintances, making wishes on all the shooting stars. (If you would like more info on the whale watching trip, would like to see some of the photos and videos, or would like to know more about CRESLI events, email me and I will get the info over to you!)

I also lost 5 pounds. I packed most of my own food (fruit, hard boiled eggs, bottled water, cheese), but what I really think did it was trying to keep balance on the boat. You don't realize what a great workout it is for your core and legs...you just know you are really tired at the end of the day...but I just looked in the mirror and WOW, is my belly flatter and my legs are showing some great muscle tone!

On that note, I'd like to say that it's ok to go out on the Cheap Dates I list here by yourself. I fly solo quite often (and often by choice). One thing I have noticed is that people generally are very nice, especially if they see that you have a common interest, whether it be music, art, food or what have you...let yourself be surprised by the chance encounters you have. I know we've all seen the t-shirts, but I'd like to remind you...LIFE IS GOOD!

A few more things to look forward to...
This weekend brings the newest installment of the Bellport Songwriter Series featuring Johnny Lee Jordan and The Corduroy Sky. $5 admission, seating for about 50 in a beautiful old building by the Great South Bay, with light refreshments available.

Tonight at Acoustic Long Island will be John Schmitt. Open mic at 8PM, show at 9PM. FREE at Deepwells Mansion, St. James.

The Electrix will be playing an acoustic set at the LI Bluegrass Festival this weekend. See my previous post for location and times.

Contemporary line dancing lessons tonite at the Jones Beach Bandshell. FREE.

Alive After Five closes out its season this Friday nite with 5 bands, 5 stages, outdoor dining, beer (it's Patchogue, home of two great microbreweries...you would expect less?), face painting, craft vendors and kids' events. Don't forget to come on down and say hi to me at the Theatre table!

The Islip Arts Council has a couple of great concerts this week. Dont miss the Joel Sikowitz Dixieland Band, 6PM at Gardner County Park on August 16, and The Wes Houston Band at Bayard Cutting Arboretum at 2PM at Bayard Cutting Arboretum. $6 to park.

Movies!
Old Field Farm is hosting an outdoor viewing of Sweet Liberty on August 14 at 7:30PM. Bring a beach chair or blanket! FREE.

Deepwells Mansion is also hosting a free movie night on August 14th, but I can't seem to find out what the movie will be. No one is answering the phone there, and all the websites say "TBA". Call ahead for info.

Sounds like a chick flick men would enjoy...Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Woody Allen's latest, is getting great buzz. Naughty, witty, and starring two of the hottest hotties today - Scarlett Johannson and Penelope Cruz (something for both the blonde and brunette fans out there!) - this movie seems to have something for both genders to enjoy! Starts August 15th at the Cinema Arts Center. Admission is usually around $9.

Speaking of Cinema Arts...did anyone check out the link I sent out last post about Fido? If not, SHAME ON YOU!!! If you like zombie movies like Shawn of the Dead, a high camp factor while getting your scare on, and hilarious pop culture references, this is a MUST SEE! Written by the same people who brought you Pleasantville, it's a surrealistic look at people living in fear of zombies. Go to the previous post to see the trailer.

All for now! If you know of an upcoming event you would like me to post, let me know! Email me at cheap.date.long.island@gmail.com. Chat soon!

No comments: